Course for Real Estate Salespersons (RES) 2023
Do Singapore property agents have to pay a license fee?
Here are the costs you will need to plan for before you earn your real estate agent license:
- This course is for real estate salespeople (RES):
I will list a few of the better RES Exam 2023 providers later in this article, but RES courses generally range from $650-800.
- NTUC members’ RES Exams can be subsidized by UTAP for up to $250 if they are below 40 years old.
- Higher funding support of up to $500 is available for NTUC members who are 40 or above.
- Up to $500 of SkillsFuture credit can be used by Singaporeans and Permanent Residents 25 and older.
MATTERS RELATING TO UTAP
The website for skill upgrades is http://skillsupgrade.ntuc.org.sg
Please contact UTAP at e2i.com.sg
Hotline for NTUC memberships: 6213-8008
We are open from 9:00 am to 5:30 pm, Monday through Friday, and from 9:00 am to 12:30 pm on Saturday
- Exams for RES:
- The total cost for both papers is $417.30 (including GST).
- The retake fee for each paper is $235.40, GST included.
Once you have passed the exams, you will normally attend an event that will introduce you to an agency that specializes in real estate.
The joining fee typically consists of:
- Fees: $53.50 for Salesperson Registration + $230 for the CEA fees annually = $283.50
- An insurance policy covering professional indemnity costs $120
- Admin fees were charged by the agency for name cards, ID tags, and starting up courses: $300-500.
RES Course topics include what?
RES Courses are offered only by CEA-approved providers since 2010. In this course you will gain an understanding of the rules and regulations governing property agents’ work and practices, as well as Singapore’s laws and guidelines regarding renting, buying, and selling housing units in the public sector, private apartments, and condominiums, as well as commercial business spaces.
There are so many different areas covered in RES courses that even experienced agents can’t fully recall all the material. Having said that, if you decide to begin, be prepared to spend a lot of time revising and be determined if you want to pass.
Anecdotally, it appears that between 20-30% of test takers pass. If you need help passing your RES exam, you can take advantage of our free revision sessions.
Attendee requirements for RES courses:
- A minimum age of 21 is required
- Resident of Singapore or Singaporean
- You must have at least 4 GCE ‘O’ levels or equivalents (WPLN)
- Meeting CEA criteria for fit and proper
Exam dates for Real Estate Salespersons (RES) in 2023
Res exam registration
25 Mar, Sat – Paper 1
(9.30am to 12pm)
Stage 1 – FormSG
Stage 2 – LHUB
22 Jul, Sat – Paper 1
(9.30am to 12pm)
22 Nov, Sat – Paper 1
(9.30am to 12pm)
RES Exam Format
RES Exam Duration : 2 hours 30 minutes for each paper
RES Exam Format : Both Paper 1 and Paper 2 are of the same format:
- Section A: 60 MCQs (60 marks)
- Section B: 20 MCQs with reference to 1 or 2 case studies (40 marks)
CEA’s appointed examination administrator, NTUC LearningHub Pte Ltd, will administer the RES examination after you complete the RES course. You must pass both RES exam papers to register for the exam. A student takes exams three times a year, in February/March, June, and October.
You should sign up at least two months before the event, as registration closes 1-2 months before the event.
LHub Pte Ltd (NTUC LearningHub)
- You can access the site at https://res.ntuclearninghub.com
- To reach us, please call our hotline (Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 5:30pm): 6336 5482
- Send an email to email@example.com
The address is:
Building NTUC Trade Union (NTUC)
The address is 73 Bras Basah Road, #12-01
The Singaporean Code is 189556
Management Institute of Singapore (SIM HQ)
If you complete your RES course between 22 February 2018 and 30 April 2020, the CEA will extend the validity period of your certificate by one year. This will provide ample time for you to sit RES exams in the future.
The following criteria must be met to qualify for the exam:
The following are the requirements for exam candidates:
- Attendance of a minimum of 75% in the RES course is a requirement for the award “Certification of RES course completion.”
Format of the RES Exam:
Each paper takes 2 Hour 30 minutes to complete.
The first and second papers:
- Section A: Each multiple choice question is worth one mark (section A)
- Section B: 15 short-answer questions accompanied by one or two case studies – each worth two marks
- Section C: You will be required to complete 10 short answer questions (SAQs) worth 2 marks each
Results of the examination:
- CEA must review all papers with a 60% passing mark.
- Exam administrators will contact you with your results.
- After the Certificate of Completion of RES Course is issued, CEA stipulates that both papers must be passed within two years.
- You will only have to retake the specific paper you did not pass at the end of the previous exam if you do not pass either one.
- It will be necessary for you to retake the course and take both exams again if you do not pass both papers within the 2 year timeframe. That hurts!
When do the results of the RES Examination become available?
After the RES Examinations are conducted, the results will be released after 4 to 6 weeks.
Results of the RES exam appealed
By submitting an appeal through the NTUC Learning Hub, you can request a review of your exam papers if you believe that you should have passed. Within 5 working days of the notification of examination results, the CEA’s appointed examination administrator must be notified of the results.
For the review of each examination paper, a nonrefundable fee of $64.20 is charged (including GST).
Request for postponement of examination
NTUC LearningHub will charge an admin fee of $107 for each deferment, regardless of whether the deferment is due to COVID or other legitimate reasons such as NS call up or bereavement. The admin fee is nonrefundable.
Applicants must submit an application on https://res.ntuclearninghub.com within 5 working days of the exam date.
Foreigners and aspirant property agents should note:
You do not automatically become a real estate salesperson after taking the RES Course and passing the RES examination. According to the Estate Agents Act, you must satisfy the fit and proper requirements in order to register as an agent.
Before you register for the RES Course, make sure you review CEA’s complete list of registration requirements. This will prevent you from getting a nasty surprise after passing the exams.
The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) issues Employment Passes (EP) to foreign nationals who wish to register with CEA as salespersons. A real estate agency will then be required to support your application for registration, which will then be reviewed by CEA.
A letter of sponsorship from your estate agency is required to register for the RES Course. Even students who are enrolled in the course simply to learn are strictly monitored.minuminutes
Recommendations for RES Courses in 2023
I have heard good things about many of the new property agents who have joined us who are in need of RES courses. If you are wondering which RES course provider to choose, then this list may be of assistance since I have heard many good things about these providers.
The best choices are Hastor and Real Centre Network if you reside in central areas. Go to Pioneer Training & Consultancy if you are staying in the west. Go to Singapore Estate Agents Association if you live on the East Side.
There are several real estate schools that offer different RES course schedules in order to fit the schedules of busy working adults and working parents. Courses may be offered on the weekend, on Saturdays, on specific weeknights, or express classes.
Here are the details:
Hastor Property Services
Venue: 190 Lorong 6 Toa Payoh #02-514, Toa Payoh Central,
(Located above KFC, please use the stairs beside KFC and go up to Level 2)
Institute of Estate Agents
Tel No: 6323 1770
Venue: 480 Lorong 6 Toa Payoh #07-01 HDB Hub East Wing Singapore 310480
Pioneer Training & Consultancy Pte Ltd
Tel No: 6462 6093 / 9424 3483
Venue: Blk 134 Jurong Gateway Road #03-309P Singapore 600134
Real Centre Network Pte Ltd
Tel No: 6511 3009
Venue: 490 Lorong 6 Toa Payoh #09-16 HDB Hub Biz 3 Singapore 310490
*Update: RCN now has branches in Tampines and Jurong too.
Singapore Estate Agents Association
Tel No: 6702 1602 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Venue: 60 Paya Lebar Road #13-23 Paya Lebar Square Singapore 409051 (Office Lift Lobby 1)
BenchMark RealPro Pte Ltd
Tel: 67355860 / 67355861
Venue: 151 Chin Swee Road #03-31 Manhattan House Singapore 169876.
Comparing RES courses
Would you like to find out what RES course providers or types would benefit you most?
How much is the cheapest of them all? There are different schedules and lengths of courses to suit different individuals, but they all meet the CEA’s criteria.
Revision classes for RES exams
Have trouble understanding the topics of Paper 1 or 2 of your RES course?
Learn how to handle the RES exam formats and questions fluently and improve your RES exam scores by participating in our FREE RES Exam Revision Classes with fellow RES students and mentors who have already passed their RES.
You can pass your exams with flying colors by receiving access to thousands of mock exam questions.